Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sick Sick Sick

Until this year I considered myself to be a fairly healthy person. I am usually not sick and tend to use my "sick days" as "mental health" days or "just for fun" days. This year I have had two pretty bad colds, I think they are only colds, that have made it almost impossible to get out of bed in the morning. I am currently suffering from what I can only understand as a chest cold since my chest hurts every time I cough. In fact, I have developed a sore throat due to that terrible cough. It is almost a bit of a dry heave cough... gross and weird, I know.

They always say that when you start teaching at a new school you are sick more often because you are exposed to a whole new set of germs. I guess I never really believed that until now. And I blame the rug-rats I teach. They come into my classroom and complain about being sick, and then cough on me or my desk. My response? If you are sick, go home and don't infect the rest of us who can't take off as many days as we would like. There are no rules in the school about how many days a student MUST attend in order to receive credit for the course. In fact, I have had students miss as many as 10 days, all excused by mom and dad of course, and then expect me to catch them up. "I haven't been here for a week. Did I miss anything?" So now that I am sick I am irritable. "Nope, since you were gone we did nothing!" Sometimes I think that when I am in a bad mood I should be excused from teaching.

Morale of this post: Being sick is not fun and forces a great deal more work on the teacher (I have to grade the work I assign while I am gone). My being sick is the entire fault of my grubby, disease ridden students, who I think should be germ tested before entering the school...

Wish me health!

No comments:

Post a Comment