Saturday, March 28, 2009

First Blizzard Ever

Last Thursday I took part in my first blizzard ever. I would have been very excited about staying inside and enjoying the view, but I had to venture out to go observe one of my UNC students in Greeley, about a 30 min. drive from the house on a good day. Knowing the drive would be a little treacherous, I left the house an hour before I needed to be there, hoping that would give me plenty of time. As it happens, my drive took almost exactly one hour and I arrived just in time. As I observed my little wanna-be teacher, I kept glancing out of the window at the swirling, falling, accumulating snow, worrying about how I was going to get out of there.

I left the school 15 minutes before the end of the period, thinking that I was going to have to drive to Ft. Collins, a normal 45 min. trip, in an hour and a half. I think God must have been smiling down on me because after battling the middle school parents in the parking lot for 15 min., I found out that my school had been closed for the afternoon and I would only have to drive home! Unfortunately, that drive turned into a one hour and 45 min. drive instead of the regular 30 min. In between Greeley and Loveland the wind picked up and I was in a complete white out. Snow blowing sideways brought visibility down to less than a 1/4 mile and ice on the road made anything over 30 miles an hour dangerous. I was almost rear-ended 3 times by a truck following to close to me, and twice by a City of Loveland bus that could not control its speed. In 4 wheel drive I slipped around on the ice more than once, not something that is easy to do. Luckily, I arrived at home safely and stayed in for the remainer of that day and the next.

John left home at 6:30 that morning to go plow snow for work. He said they received more than a foot of snow in Boulder, and he plowed from about 7:15 a.m. to about 6 p.m. He stayed overnight with his boss and then returned to work at 1 a.m. and plowed until about 9:30 a.m. When he got home Friday at around 10:30 we both took a nap! The only thing I wish we had done is play around in the snow! Maybe when John hasn't been plowing all night we can go out and enjoy the winter wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment