Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Job Search is Over!

I know it has been a long time since my last post, but a great deal has been going on and I have had to keep it under wraps until things were final. As many of you know, I have been out looking for a new job since about the beginning of April. I had applied in every school district anyway near Loveland, and by the end of May, had only had 2 interviews. When it became apparent that the teaching job market was saturated with qualified teachers, John suggested that I begin to look elsewhere.

I checked the job market in lots of places, but, to no one's surprise, there were/ are lots of postings for English teachers in the Houston area. After sending out several resumes to school districts all over the Houston area, I was asked to fly in for a few interviews, including at schools that didn't even have an opening. The week after school let out, I flew into Houston and went on 5 or 6 interviews in one week. While I thought all of the interviews went well, the last of the interviews was the best of the bunch. As the interview was coming to a close, the department chair told me not to do anymore interviews. Of course, I continued to apply, but just yesterday, a Saturday actually, I got a call from the Principal at Spring High School in Houston, TX, offering me a job.

John and I had done a LOT of talking and evaluating in the past few weeks, and decided that it was for the best that we go ahead and relocate to Houston. The money is better, the cost of living is lower, and John can get back into what he went to school for. Also, I will have job security again, something difficult to find here in Colorado.

Of course, I am VERY excited about heading back home to Texas to be close to family and friends, but we will miss the family and friends we have here in Colorado. John is actually speaking to his family about the move as we speak. I know that this will be very difficult for them, and I never wanted to cause them pain. They are a close bunch, just like my family, and John moving will be arduous for them. I do think that they have an idea already, as they have been calling more often than usual, but hearing John say aloud that we are leaving will be a tough pill to swallow.

So if you are in the Houston area and you enjoy lifting heavy boxes for a reward of food and/or beer, we will be giving you a call in August or September (or whenever we buy a place) to help us unload a POD. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment