Monday, May 4, 2009

The Job Search

So I have not had the opportunity to share this just yet, but most close friends know that I am on the search for a new job. Unbeknownst to me, I signed a 1 year only contract when I began work at Poudre, and, due to budget issues, I am not being offered a job there next year. I am sad to leave this home I have made for myself, but, alas, nothing can be done. So now I have begun the job search. Strangely enough, in these sad times, every other high school in the district posted several Language Arts openings. Rocky posted 4, Fort Collins posted 1, and Fossil Ridge posted 3. I think the odds are in my favor to stay in the district, but who knows.

So I put in applications for each opening and Friday I finally heard back from the first. And they move fast! I had an interview this afternoon at Fossil Ridge High School, and I think it went very well. After last year I began to think that I did not have great interviewing skills after the million interviews I was invited to, none of which resulted in an offer (except for Poudre). My department chair says that I am a great interview, and I suppose she would know. On the upside, this year I have something going for me that I did not have last year... connections. When I walked into that interview, 3 of the 4 people sitting at the table had heard great things about me already. A good friend at work did his student teaching with the department chair (so he emailed him a nice recommendation) and another friend emailed a close friend of hers who was also on the committee. Also, I was told that the assistant principal had already called to check my references on Friday afternoon, which makes me a bit optomistic! Is it too soon for optomism?

The biggest problem of all... at the interview they told me they were hoping to have an answer for us by the 3rd week in May. 3 weeks??? Really??? But you did all of your interviews this evening! I can understand that you don't have an answer today or tomorrow... but 3 weeks? that seems a bit long... But seriously, with 3 openings, here's hoping I can make the cut for at least one of them. (But don't put to much pressure on this one interview... uh huh... riiiight.)

Well, one down, at least 2 more to go... wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment